420 Class Supports ISAF Emerging Nations Programme in Hungary
Under way on Lake Balaton in Hungary is the ISAF Emerging Nations Programme clinic, the second of five clinics being run by ISAF in the build up to the 2015 ISAF Youth Sailing World Championships.
Two ISAF Nominated Experts and class-specific coaches are responsible for the day-to-day delivery of the theoretical / practical program, as well as a dedicated ISAF media team who will spend four days covering all of the activity in Hungary. The supported classes of equipment for this clinic are the Laser Radial, 420 and 29er.
The International 420 Class Association has supported the attendance Bruno Gago of Spain, who is the 420 National Coach and well-known as a top level coach.
This YW ENP regional performance clinic is hosted by ISAF Member National Authority for Hungary, the Hungarian Yachting Association (HYA) and is the second of five regional events to be delivered in the build-up to the 2015 Youth Worlds in Malaysia in December. Over 50 nations are expected to benefit from attending the regional clinics. One of the key targets of this year's ENP is to have 80 nations present at the 2015 ISAF Youth Worlds (11 more than in 2014) and the ENP has been identified as key to achieving this outcome.
Next events for sailors in the International 420 Class are:
Maputo, Mozambique - 16 to 22 May - supported by 420 Class appointed coach, António Gois - Portuguese 420 National Coach
Langkawi, Malaysia - 24 to 30 October - 420 Class appointed coach to be appointed
Follow and get involved with the YW ENP clinics by using the #YouthSailing hashtag on Twitter and Instagram.
The aims of the ISAF Youth Worlds Emerging Nations Programme are:
- to help 'Narrow the performance gap' between nations attending the ISAF Youth Worlds through the provision of pre-event training opportunities for sailors and coaches;
- for ISAF to actively engage with ISAF Member National Authorities (MNAs), encouraging a greater attendance of nations at the ISAF Youth Worlds;
- to enable ISAF Member National Authorities (MNAs) access to a 'development pathway' for young sailors and their coaches, linking the YW ENP to similar projects being developed for the 2018 ISAF World Championships;
- to provide ISAF MNAs with the opportunities to benefit from further development support through IOC Olympic Solidarity funded programmes;
- to empower ISAF MNAs to develop national sail training programmes which will enable independent, un-subsidised attendance at future Youth Worlds events.
All sailors that complete the training program at their regional clinic will then be eligible for subsequent applications that can be made by their MNAs for 'ENP Scholarships'.
The successful recipients of these scholarships will receive additional subsidies from ISAF for travel costs, registration fees and boat charter related to attendance at the Youth Worlds event in Langkawi, Malaysia.
Full details of the Emerging Nations Program as well as all other information on the ISAF Youth Sailing World Championships can be found here www.isafyouthworlds.com
A full list of YW ENP videos including interviews with all sailors and coaches involved will be added to our dedicated ISAF TV channel here www.youtube.com/isafchannel
Further updates from all of the 2015 YW ENP clinics are available through our Facebook pages here www.facebook.com/ISAFWorldSailing and www.facebook.com/ISAFDevelopment as well as our dedicated Youth Worlds page here www.facebook.com/ISAFYouthWorlds