LARGEST 420 FLEET AT NORTH AMERICAN CHAMPIONSHIP FOR OVER 20 YEARS
The 2018 420 North Americans hosted at Coconut Grove Sailing Club, Miami from 13-15 January, was the largest regatta in recent USA history – for at least twenty years.
Clear evidence of the escalating popularity of the International 420 Class Association was the turn-out of thirty-nine teams featuring plenty of young talent, including the recently crowned the USA's Youth Sailing World Championships gold medallists Carmen Cowles/Emma Cowles and Youth Worlds silver medallists in the boys Thomas Rice/Trevor Bornarth. Lining up alongside them were plenty more podium performers in the mix including the 2017 420 Ladies Europeans bronze medallists Emma Kaneti/Ciara Rodriguez-Horan, alongside the 420 European U17 bronze medallists Max Anker/Leyton Borcherding, as well as the 2017 420 Junior Europeans silver medallist Dylan Ascencios racing with new crew William George
The Youth Worlds Silver medalist Tom Rice/Trevor Bornarth took the top spot, nudging out JC Hermus/Walter Henry in the final race with a bullet, which put them ahead by a tight 2 points.
Youth Worlds Gold medalists Carmen Cowles/Emma Cowles had a strong final day, including a bullet in race 7, moving up into the 3rd place position to claim the bronze medals and 420 North American Women’s title.
Top 10 Overall - after 9 Races
1. Thomas Rice / Trevor Bornarth - 10 pts
2. Joseph Charles Hermus / Walter Henry - 16 pts
3. Payton Thompson / Nicholas Chisari - 26 pts
4. Dylan Ascencios / William George - 26 pts
5. Lachlain Mcgranahan / Declan Mcgranahan - 28 pts
6. Carmen Cowles / Emma Cowles - 31 pts
7. Max Anker / Leyton Borcherding - 32 pts
8. Thomas Hall / Sam Gavula - 34 pts
9. Michelle Lahrkamp / Gabriella Delbello - 37 pts
10. Sarah Burn / Patricia Gerli - 39 pts