RUSSIAN YOUTH NATIONAL CHAMPIONS CROWNED
The annual Russian Youth Sailing Championship took place from 28 August to 2 September at St Petersburg, Russia.
The combined event for multiple youth classes - 420, 29er, Nacra 15, Laser 4.7, RS:X, Techno 293 - hosted five days of racing and eight races for the 420 Class.
The first three days saw a super light breeze, with the 420 fleet only managing to race on 29 and 30 September, using the evening to complete two races on each day. Race day 4 brought a change in conditions as the pressure varied from 8-15 knots to get three more races in the bag, with back to back wins secured by Denis Lepin/Maxim Karelin reinforcing their dominance on the race track so far. Onto the final day and race 8 again saw teams face a fickle breeze of around 4-5 knots, with Mikhail Sakhovskiy/Igor Maliavskiy seizing the win, their second of the Championship, but too late to get ahead of Lepin/Karelin,
Racing as a single fleet of men, women and mixed teams, titles and prizes were awarded to the the men and women podium teams:
1. Denis Lepin/Maxim Karelin - 11 pts - 1st men
2. Mikhail Sakhovskiy/Igor Maliavskiy - 20 pts - 2nd men
3. Anastasia Deriagina/Sofia Vereschagina - 39 pts - 1st women
4. Alesia Pirogova/Saadat Beyshenova - 44 pts - 2nd women
5. Maxim Safin/Bogdan Alyautdinov - 47 pts - 3rd men
6. Elizaveta Zhdanova/Leonid Plastinin - 48 pts
7. Pavel Baryshnikov/Dmitry Yakobson - 50 pts
8. Anastasia Sumarokova/Sofia Shpilberg - 52 pts - 3rd women
9. Kristina Vasilieva/Polina Sukhova - 62 pts
10. Ksenia Syrykova/Zoya Shpakova - 65 pts