YACHTING NEW ZEALAND PERFORMANCE AWARDS FOR 420 CLASS TEAMS
Another standout year in New Zealand yachting and boating will be celebrated on 25 November as the Volvo Yachting Excellence Awards honours significant achievements and services made to the sport in 2016.
Amongst the sailors being honoured are two young and highly talented 420 Class teams, Josh Berry/Henry Haslett and Kerensa Jennings/Chelsea Rees. Competing on an international stage, these teams have achieved world class results representing New Zealand at some of the toughest events on the 420 Class annual calendar, including 420 Worlds and ISAF Youth Sailing Worlds, as well as national championship events.
Berry/Haslett will also be representing New Zealand at the Youth Sailing Worlds on home waters, 14-20 December 2016.
A highly successful Olympic cycle is reflected in the list of this years’ performance winners, with the entire kiwi sailing team named among those announced by Yachting New Zealand today. The evening will also place a big emphasis on service award recipients, paying tribute to the individuals and groups to have worked tirelessly across the regions to support all facets of sailing as well as the talented youngsters to have achieved success over the year.
In addition to the evening's celebrations, the 2016 HRG Sailor the Year will be named to receive the prestigious Sir Bernard Fergusson trophy. The top honour, dating back to 1963 and presented annually, is New Zealand’s highest recognition within the sport of sailing and will see the winner join a long list of highly accomplished sailors.
Winners announced are;
Yachting New Zealand Service Awards for 2016
Recognising contribution and service at club, regional and/or national level.
- Ann Hatch – for services to New Plymouth Yacht Club
- Bob Davies – for services to Wanganui Yacht Club
- Graham Thow & Des Rouse – for services to Northcote Birkenhead Yacht Club
- Jim and Margaret Park – for services to Christchurch Yacht Club
- Keith Hay – for services to Mt Pleasant Yacht Club
- Leslie Rogerson – for services to Wakatipu Yacht Club and Southland Yachting Association
- Mark Mulcare – for services to yacht race handicapping
- Mike Underwood – for services to Waikawa Boating Club
- Sally Garrett – for services to Royal Akarana Yacht Club
- Spring Chickens Volunteer Group – for services to Lowry Bay Yacht Club
- Viki Moore – for services to Naval Point Club Lyttleton
Yachting New Zealand Cruising Awards for 2016
- Simon Willis
Yachting New Zealand Performance Awards for 2016
- Alex Maloney and Molly Meech – 49erFX, Silver Rio Olympics 2016
- David McDiarmid, Matthew Steven, Bradley Collins – 18ft skiff, 2nd JJ Giltinan Champs
- Gemma Jones and Jason Saunders – Nacra 17, 4th Rio Olympics 2016
- Jo Aleh and Polly Powrie- Women’s 470, Silver Rio Olympics 2016
- Josh Junior – Finn, 7th Olympics 2016
- Paul Snow-Hansen and Daniel Willcox – Men’s 470, 10th Rio Olympics 2016
- Peter Burling and Blair Tuke – 49er, Gold Rio Olympics 2016
- Phillip Robertson, William Tiller and Stewart Dodson – 1st World Match Racing Tour 2016
- Rick Dodson, Chris Sharp and Andrew May – Sonar class, 4th Rio Paralympics 2016
- Sam Meech – Laser, Bronze Rio Olympics 2016
- Sarah Dunckley – Hansa Liberty class, 1st World Championships 2016
Yachting New Zealand Youth Performance Awards for 2016
- Eli Liefting and Rose Dickson (Royal Akarana Yacht Club) – RS Feva, 4th RS Feva Worlds 2016
- George Gautrey (Muritai Yacht Club) – Laser Radial, 2nd ISAF Youth Sailing World Championships 2015
- Kate and Greta Stewart (Murrays Bay Sailing Club) – 29er girls, 3rd ISAF Youth Sailing World Championships 2016
- Jackson Keon and Nick Egnot-Johnson (Murrays Bay Sailing Club) – 29er class, 2nd ISAF Youth Sailing World Championships 2015
- Josh Berry and Henry Haslett (Murrays Bay Sailing Club) – 420 class, 1st NZ Nationals, 2nd Australian Nationals, 16th Open Worlds 2016
- Kerensa Jennings and Chelsea Rees (Murrays Bay Sailing Club) – 420 girls 9th ISAF Youth Sailing World Championships 2015
- Robbie McCutcheon (Wakatere Boating Club) – P Class 2016 Tauranga and Tanner Cup winner
- Tamryn Lindsay and William McKenzie (Murrays Bay Sailing Club) – SL16 class, 3rd ISAF Youth Sailing World Championships 2015
- Olivia Mackay and Micah Wilkinson -Red Bull Foiling Generation World Champions 2016