DAY 3 AT 420 HIGH LEVEL COACHES CLINIC SEES FOCUS MOVE TO NUTRITION AND INJURY PREVENTION
The importance of nutrition is a key element in every athlete's preparation and training, whether at school level all the way through to the world class performance demanded from Olympians.
Day 3 at the 420 High Class Coaches Clinic saw the morning focus on nutrition with a presentation by Dr Mónica Neves, who was joined by Dr Bernardo Pessoa (POR) to discuss physical preparation and injury prevention. Getting the right balance of nutients ensures your body's immune system stays strong and the risk of illness goes down. Food is the body's fuel, and proper nutrition leads to better performance. Providing your body with the right nutrients, and you'll be rewarded with higher energy, more muscle and faster recovery. Coaches and sailors tried out different physical exercises too.
The afternoon's session gave coaches the opportunity to practise on-water exercises.
Clinic Instructors are:
- Jim Saltonstall MBE (GBR)
- Michalis Mileos (GRE)
- Dr. Bernardo Pessoa (POR)
- Drª. Mónica Neves (POR)
- Eng. Pedro Pires de Lima (POR)
Eighteen coaches from Angola, Portugal and Romania are participating:
- Paixão Afonso (ANG) - Clube Naval de Luanda (Olympic Sailor)
- Edinaldo Torres (ANG) - Clube Naval de Luanda
- Matias Montinho (ANG - Clube Naval de Luanda (Olympic Sailor)
- Moisés Camota (ANG) - Clube Naval de Luanda
- Rui Albuquerque (ANG) - Clube Naval de Luanda
- Guilherme Cabral (POR) - Clube Naval de Sesimbra
- Gonçalo Pires (POR) - Clube Naval de Portimão
- Rodolfo Pires (POR) - Clube Naval de Portimão
- Álvaro Marinho (POR) - currently coaching the 470 female swiss team (Olympic Sailor)
- Nuno Barreto (POR) - Freelance Coach, from Clube Naval de Cascais (Olympic Sailor)
- Pedro Cruz (POR) - Clube Naval de Cascais
- Paulo Baptista (POR) - Clube Náutico de Tavira
- Gonçalo Ramos (POR) - Clube de Vela do Barreiro
- Ingrid Fortunato (POR) - Clube de Vela de Lagos
- Frederico Rato (POR) - Clube Naval de Portimão;
- António Tinoco (POR) - Sport Club do Porto
- Francisco Melo – (POR) - Clube Internacional da Marina de Vilamoura
- Liviu Doara (ROM) - Sportul Studentesc Bucuresti
The aim of the High Level Coaches Clinic is to share knowledge and coaching techniques, with sessions delivered by specialists in a mix of shore side theory and on-water practical sessions. Led by Head coach Jim Saltonstall (GBR), long time coach of the British Sailing Team who has encouraged and inspired so many youngsters towards international and Olympic success. Jim is joined by renowned 420 Coach Michalis Mileos (GRE), along with experts Pedro Pires de Lima (POR), Dr Bernardo Pessoa (POR) and Drª Mónica Neves (POR).
The Clinic is planned as a mix of on-water sessions, lectures, exercises and presentations. Click here for full information on the Clinic Programme and General Conditions