420 CLASS ANNOUNCES 2018 DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME
The International 420 Class Association has always been at the forefront of running development programmes and sharing sailing knowledge, skills and techniques for sailors and coaches through online platforms, such as 420 to the Max and the 420 Exercise e-Book, as well as our development clinics and initiatives around the world.
2017 has featured a packed year of development initiatives, combining Coaches and Sailors Clinics, as well as "have a go" opportunities and Championship support from expert 420 Class coaches.
Led by 420 Class Vice-President José Massapina, who is responsible for 420 Class Development, an even more exciting 2018 Development Programme has been announced. A packed year of initiatives will include a mix of Coaches and Sailors clinics, "how to" and promotional videos, Championship coaching support, "have a go" opportunitiies, an Emerging Nations programme and the creation of the 420 Sailing Academy.
“The 420 Class is committed to invest back into the sport through the income it receives from sales of boat plaques and sail buttons," explained Nino Shmueli, 420 Class President. "For many years the International 420 Class Association has run an extensive range of development initiatives, catering from beginner to elite and embracing many countries around the world.
"Our 2018 Development Programme builds on the successes of past years and also further supports the transition from classes feeding into the 420, as well as sailors from nations who have hosted clinics and are now targeting participating at 420 Championships. For coaches, we want to take their skills and understanding to the next level, as they support and inspire future generations of sailors.
“We are very excited about the year ahead in 2018, as the 420 Class continues to set the standard and lead in development programme provision, partnerships and delivery of opportunities for sailors and coaches around the world. The outcome is evident as the 420 Class maintains its growth and popularity, encourages sailors to choose and stay in sailing, and underlines its role as the pathway class of choice for many future Olympic sailors,” concluded Shmueli.
Take a read of the overview information and final details will be published in the coming months:
- Coaches and Sailors Clinics – Coaches and Sailors Clinics will be held across four continents, with the following venues currently planned: Europe – Portugal and Slovenia; Asia – China, Hong-Kong and Chinese Taipei; Oceania – New Zealand and the small island nations like Fiji and Samoa; Americas/Caribbean – Ecuador and Bahamas.
- 420 and 470 Junior European Championships – we will appoint a high-level coach to provide daily support during the 420 Junior European Championship, to focus on teams from emerging nations and run a daily video debrief session for all teams.
- Promotional Activity for Optimist Sailors – once again the 420 Class will descend on Fraglia Vela Riva on Lake Garda for the annual Optimist Easter Regatta, a massive event which attracts young sailors from around the world. A fully-rigged 420 will be available, and a 420 Class representative will be on hand to share information about the 420 Class and provide promotional material.
- International Optimist Dinghy Association (IODA) Championships – repeating the success of 2017, the 420 Class will be in attendance at a major IODA Championship in 2018. A 420 will be onsite, giving young Optimist sailors the chance to find out more about sailing the 420 and “have a go”.
- Optimist Coaches Education – supporting the transition from the Optimist to the 420 Class, we will invite Optimist Coaches to join the 420 Clinics free of charge. The aim is to share knowledge about the 420 Class and educate on the benefits to young sailors in choosing the 420 Class as the next step in their sailing pathway.
- 420 Sailing Academy – a new and very exciting initiative will be the creation of the International 420 Class Association Academy, in a joint partnership with Vilamoura Sailing in the south of Portugal. The Academy will be open to Coaches and Sailors and offer a range of year-round training opportunities.
- Emerging Nations Programme (ENP) – in partnership with the World Youth Sailing Championships, the 420 Class will provide an expert coach to the Championships to provide daily briefings and insights to the sailors selected to the World Sailing ENP and other teams who wish to join the hugely popular daily post-race debrief.
- 420 Class Emerging Nations Programme (ENP) – establishing the follow-on pathway from the 420 Class Clinics to 420 Championships, the 420 Class will invite the best teams from the Clinics to compete at 420 Championships, with financial support provided towards participation, including entry fee, charter boat and accommodation.
- Coaches High Level Clinic – with a focus on supporting Coaches, we will bring the world’s best 420 Class coaches and sports experts to share their knowledge at a high-level coaches clinic at the 420 Sailing Academy in Vilamoura, Portugal in October 2018.
- 420 Promotional Video - telling the story of the 420 Class is part of inspiring the next generation of sailors to choose the 420 Class as their next step. Our all new promotional video will showcase the 420 and the skillsets it develops, as well as share insights from former 420 sailors who are now stars on the world sailing stage. The video will be available online for all to use.
- 420 Tuning Video – sharing the knowledge and accelerating learning is very much the ethos of the 420 Class, as we develop learning platforms to support sailors from the 420 Class sailors and the broader sailing community. Our latest training video will focus on the all-important technique of “tuning” and how to make your boat perform across all conditions, whether beginner or expert. The “tuning” video will compliment our 420 to the Max video series and 420 Exercise e-Book.
We hope you are excited by our 2018 Development Programme - and keep an eye on www.420sailing.org for the latest announcements.
All feedback and queries welcome to email@example.com